Here is a list of hand tool makers which I will try and keep updated.
Here is a list of current planemakers (not including Lee Valley or Lie-Nielsen). (All websites are OK as of June 2016)
- Scott Meek Woodworks – premium Krenov-style wooden planes (US).
- Daed Toolworks – infill mitre and smoothing planes (US).
- Sauer and Steiner – crazy beautiful infill planes (Canada).
- Old Street Tool – traditional wooden bench planes (not taking any new orders at present) (US).
- H.N.T. Gordon – classic wooden planes, and Asian style planes (Australia).
- Philly Planes – traditional wooden bench planes (UK).
- Brese Plane – traditional handplanes (US).
- Marcou Planes – magnificent modern-style planes (NZ).
- Bridge City Tool Works – makers of futuristic-like mini, block, and rabbet planes (US, but made in China).
- Bill Carter Hand Made Planes – hand made planes (UK).
- David Barron Furniture – Krenov style wooden planes (UK).
- Holtey – infill planes in the style of Norris, Mathieson and Spiers (UK).
- Gerd Fritsche’s Handplanes – infill planes and complete plane kits (Germany).
- St.James Bay Tool Co. – makers of plane parts and infill plane kits (US). (Often sold through eBay store)
- Hock Tools – makers of blades and Krenov style plane kit (US)
- Caleb James – wooden spokeshaves and panel planes (US)
- Red Rose Reproductions – panel raising, spill planes (US)
- J Wilding – wooden planes (US)
- The Lazarus Handplane Co. – handcrafted infill planes (US)
- Juan Vergara – custom infill planemaker.
- BJS Planes – custom infill planemaker (Australia)
- Oliver Sparks – custom wood and infill-type planes (UK)
- Voigt Planes – traditional double-iron wooden planes (US)
- Hillview Wood and Metal – infill blog planes
- Blum Tool Co.– Blum patented wood planes (+mallets, workbenches) (US)
- Crown Planes – wooden planes (US)
- JT Planeworks – modern metal soled infill planes (US)
- Neville Planes – classic infill planes (UK) **new website**
Hand Sculptors Tools
- Kestrel Tools – adze’s, crooked knives, straight knives (USA)
- Preferred Edge – adze’s, carving knives (Canada)
- Cariboo Blades – kitchen, hunting, utility knives; woodworking and carving tools (Canada)
- Cape Forge – woodcarving tools (USA)
- Reid Schwartz – bespoke carving tools (USA)
- H Karlsson Klensmide AB – axes, adzes, gouges, carving knives (Sweden)
- OCCTOOLS – carving knives and gouges (USA)
- Woodmans Finest – knives, axes, leather gear (Austria)
- Maine Coast Craft Tools – US distributor for Svante Djärv and Hans Karlsson tools (USA)
- Finnish Vintage Axes – vintage axes from Finland (Finland)
- Northmen – woodworking tools, knives, axes (Latvia)
- Jason A. Lonon – bespoke carving tools, axes (USA)
- Chipping Away – carving tools, Pfeil retailer (Canada)
- Kalthoff – handmade axes (Sweden)
Hand Tool Makers
- David Barron – exotic wood Krenov style planes, marking gauges (UK)
- Lie Nielsen – handcrafted tools from Maine (US)
- Lee Valley – handcrafted tools (Canada)
- Blue Spruce Toolworks – chisels, mallets, marking knives (US)
- Tools for Working Wood – handcrafted tools from New York, toolstore (US)
- Bench Crafted – innovative vises, Moxon, vises (US)
- Walke Moore Tools – clamps, router planes (US)
- Texas Heritage Woodworks – aprons, tool rolls, shop accessories, Moxon vise kits (US)
- Thomas Flinn & Co. – PAX saws, Clifton handplanes (UK)
- E.C.E. – European style wooden handplanes, frame saws etc. (Germany)
- Ulmia – European style wooden handplanes, frame saws etc. (Germany)
- Miki Tool Co. Ltd – Shogun brand Japanese pull saws, other Japanese tools (Japan)
- Henry Eckert Toolworks – honing guide, marking tools, blades (Australia)
- Hamilton Woodworks – marking and panel gauges (US)
- Matthias Fenner Toolsworks – marking knives, mallets, file handles (Germany)
- Pirollo Design – Measuring tools etc. (Canada).
- Barr Specialty Tools – chisels, drawknives, slicks (US)
- Kinetic Customs – custom made hammers, tools (Derbyshire, UK)
- Lake Erie Toolworks – wooden vise screws, Moxon vise (US)
- Acer-Ferrous Toolsworks – wooden vise components (US)
- Bontz Saw Works – handmade dovetail, carcass, sash, tenon saws
- North Wind Toolworks – handmade old world saws
- Rocky Mountain Saw Works – handmade saws
- Bad Axe Toolworks – handcrafted saws, bench hooks (US)
- Florip Toolworks – saws, marking gauges (US)
- Alamo Toolworks – saws, saw parts (US)
- Blackburn Tools – saws, saw parts, layout tools, accessories (US)
- Crosscut Saw Co – one-and two-person tree cutting saws (US)
- Tuatahi – (New Zealand) racing axes, throwing axes, and saws
- Two Lawyers Toolworks – handsaws (Germany)
- Greyhound Toolworks – handsaws (England)
- Winsor Saw – handsaws (US)
- Great Lakes Toolworks – handmade saws (Canada)
- Autine – handmade axes
- Toronto Blacksmith – hand forged axes (Canada)
- Vintage Axe Works – vintage restored axes
- Appalachian Axe Works – restored axes and tools
- VICTOR – axes (USA)
- Black Bear Forge – axes, etc. (USA)
- Maker Axe Co. – Cool wood axes (USA)
- Joshua L Burrell Toolsmith – British made axes and adzes (UK)
- Kalthoff Axes – Handmade axes (Sweden)
- Klōtzli – Swiss knife maker
People that led the resurgence in plane-making, as described in Garrett Hack’s “The Handplane Book“.
- Ted Ingraham – wooden molding planes
- Leon Robbins – specialty wooden planes, founder of Crown Planes.
- Jeff Warshafsky (Reed Plane Company) – modern Norris planes.
- Jamestown Tool Company (Jay Gaynor and Joseph Hutchins) British style planes.
Over the years, some interesting planemakers have come into the market. What is surprising is how quickly they seemed to have disappeared into the ether. The tell-tale sign is always the website becoming in-accessible.
- Shepherd Tool (2000-2006) – well known for its infill plane kits.
- Gabardi & Sons (?-2011) – handmade infill planes.
- Sturnella Tools (2013-2014) – infill smoothing plane castings. (sturnella.com)
- Nice Ash Planes (2012-2014?) – nice wooden planes. (niceashplanes.com)
- Knight Toolworks (? – 2012) – Krenov-style wooden plane kits.
- DL Barrett & Sons – traditional wooden planes (bench and plough) (Canada) (website defunct as of Jan 2016)
- Anderson Planes – traditional style infill planes (US). (defunct 2020)
- Space Age Plane Co. – handmade planes (US) (defunct 2020)
- Ashantilly Toolworks – wooden and infill planes (US) (defunct 2020)
Note the trend amongst infill plane makers to end up closing up shop. It is probably due to the high cost in manufacturing these planes – or being overwhelmed with orders (which is also not so uncommon).
- Adria Saws -handsaws (www.adriatools.com/)
- Woodjoy Tools – layout tools, spokeshaves, bowsaws (US) (defunct 2020)
NB: If the website for a toolmaker no longer functions, I consider the company to be defunct – if it functions again at some later date, I will move the link.