Here is a list of hand tool makers which I will try and keep updated.
Here is a list of current planemakers (not including Lee Valley or Lie-Nielsen). (All websites are OK as of June 2016)
- Scott Meek Woodworks – premium Krenov-style wooden planes (US).
- Daed Toolworks – infill mitre and smoothing planes (US).
- Sauer and Steiner – crazy beautiful infill planes (Canada).
- Old Street Tool – traditional wooden bench planes (not taking any new orders at present) (US).
- H.N.T. Gordon – classic wooden planes, and Asian style planes (Australia).
- Philly Planes – traditional wooden bench planes (UK).
- Anderson Planes – traditional style infill planes (US).
- Brese Plane – traditional handplanes (US).
- Marcou Planes – magnificent modern-style planes (NZ).
- Bridge City Tool Works – makers of futuristic-like mini, block, and rabbet planes (US).
- White Mountain Toolworks – Krenov style wooden planes (Canada). Currently no planes.
- Bill Carter Hand Made Planes – hand made planes (UK).
- David Barron Furniture – Krenov style wooden planes (UK).
- Holtey – infill planes in the style of Norris, Mathieson and Spiers (UK).
- Gerd Fritsche’s Handplanes – infill planes and complete plane kits (Germany).
- St.James Bay Tool Co. – makers of plane parts and infill plane kits (US). (Often sold through eBay store)
- Hock Tools – makers of blades and Krenov style plane kit (US)
- Caleb James – wooden spokeshaves and panel planes (US)
- Red Rose Reproductions – panel raising, spill planes (US)
- J Wilding – wooden planes (US)
- The Lazarus Handplane Co. – handcrafted infill planes (US)
- Juan Vergara – custom infill planemaker.
- BJS Planes – custom infill planemaker (Australia)
- Oliver Sparks – custom wood and infill-type planes (UK)
- Voigt Planes – traditional double-iron wooden planes (US)
- Hillview Wood and Metal – infill blog planes
- Space Age Plane Co. – handmade planes (US)
- Blum Tool Co.– Blum patented wood planes (+mallets, workbenches) (US)
- Crown Planes – wooden planes (US)
Hand Sculptors Tools
Kestrel Tools (USA): adze’s, crooked knives, straight knives
Preferred Edge (Canada) : adze’s, carving knives
Cariboo Blades (Canada) : kitchen, hunting, utility knives; woodworking and carving tools
Cape Forge (USA) : woodcarving tools
Reid Schwartz – (USA) : bespoke carving tools
H Karlsson Klensmide AB – (Sweden) : axes, adzes, gouges, carving knives
OCCTOOLS – (USA) : carving knives and gouges
Woodmans Finest – (Austria) knives, axes, leather gear
Maine Coast Craft Tools – (USA) US distributor for Svante Djärv and Hans Karlsson tools
Finnish Vintage Axes – (Finland) vintage axes from Finland
Northmen – (Latvia) woodworking tools, knives, axes
Hand Tool Makers
David Barron – exotic wood Krenov style planes, marking gauges (UK)
Lie Nielsen – handcrafted tools from Maine (US)
Lee Valley – handcrafted tools (Canada)
Blue Spruce Toolworks – chisels, mallets, marking knives (US)
Tools for Working Wood – handcrafted tools from New York, toolstore (US)
Bench Crafted – innovative visas, Moxon, vises (US)
Walke Moore Tools – clamps, router planes (US)
Texas Heritage Woodworks – aprons, tool rolls, shop accessories, Moxon vise kits (US)
Thomas Flinn & Co. – PAX saws, Clifton handplanes (UK)
E.C.E. – European style wooden handplanes, frame saws etc. (Germany)
Ulmia – European style wooden handplanes, frame saws etc. (Germany)
Miki Tool Co. Ltd – Shogun brand Japanese pull saws, other Japanese tools (Japan)
Henry Eckert Toolworks – honing guide, marking tools, blades (Australia)
Hamilton Woodworks – marking and panel gauges (US)
Matthias Fenner Toolsworks – marking knives, mallets, file handles (Germany)
Bontz Saw Works – handmade dovetail, carcass, sash, tenon saws
North Wind Toolworks – handmade old world saws
Rocky Mountain Saw Works – handmade saws
Bad Axe Toolworks – handcrafted saws, bench hooks (US)
Florip Toolworks – saws, marking gauges (US)
Alamo Toolworks – saws, saw parts (US)
Blackburn Tools – saws, saw parts, layout tools, accessories (US)
Crosscut Saw Co – one-and two-person tree cutting saws (US)
Tuatahi – (New Zealand) racing axes, throwing axes, and saws
Two Lawyers Toolworks – handsaws (Germany)
Greyhound Toolworks – handsaws (England)
Winsor Saw – handsaws (US)
Autine – handmade axes
Toronto Blacksmith – hand forged axes
Vintage Axe Works – vintage restored axes
Appalachian Axe Works – restored axes and tools
VICTOR – USA made axes
Black Bear Forge – USA made axes, etc.
People that led the resurgence in plane-making, as described in Garrett Hack’s “The Handplane Book“.
- Ted Ingraham – wooden molding planes
- Leon Robbins – specialty wooden planes, founder of Crown Planes.
- Jeff Warshafsky (Reed Plane Company) – modern Norris planes.
- Jamestown Tool Company (Jay Gaynor and Joseph Hutchins) British style planes.
Over the years, some interesting planemakers have come into the market. What is surprising is how quickly they seemed to have disappeared into the ether. The tell-tale sign is always the website becoming in-accessible.
- Shepherd Tool (2000-2006) – well known for its infill plane kits.
- Gabardi & Sons (?-2011) – handmade infill planes.
- Sturnella Tools (2013-2014) – infill smoothing plane castings. (sturnella.com)
- Nice Ash Planes (2012-2014?) – nice wooden planes. (niceashplanes.com)
- Knight Toolworks (? – 2012) – Krenov-style wooden plane kits.
- DL Barrett & Sons – traditional wooden planes (bench and plough) (Canada) (website defunct as of Jan 2016)
Note the trend amongst infill plane makers to end up closing up shop. It is probably due to the high cost in manufacturing these planes – or being overwhelmed with orders (which is also not so uncommon).
- Adria Saws -handsaws (www.adriatools.com/)
NB: If the website for a toolmaker no longer functions, I consider the company to be defunct – if it functions again at some later date, I will move the link.